EMPOWER YOUR CAREER!
EMC Power Canada has operated since 2005 providing specialized construction management and multi discipline trades services for power sector (Transmission/Generation) clients.
EMC offers a wide range of expertise in construction and the ability to provide Clients with unionized trades amongst various other professional positions. Growing our company and business opportunities involves recruiting various, qualified employees energized to join our dynamic team within a diverse industry.
EMC is seeking qualified HSE Officers, who will report to the HSE Manager. This position performs a full range of EH&S (Environmental, Health & Safety) support, services and training to a site(s) in the nuclear and/or electrical industries. The Safety Officer is responsible for field execution for all aspects of the EMC EH&S program on the project/site and/or at head office.
- Monitors, documents and reports on safety performance; ensures that senior management is kept informed of all health & safety activities and issues; reports safety infractions to management
- Provides information on applicable safety legislation and regulations
- Supports line management on legislated and customer procedure changes
- Coordinates efforts to deal with EH&S concerns
- Prepares project safety plan
- Conducts reviews and documents project/ site inspections
- Identifies project specific training and safety needs
- Provides Supervisor Training and participates in Supervisor Assessments
- Reviews main job steps for environmental issues
- Provides information for and participates in: Safety Meetings, Stand Down Meetings, Incident Investigations
- Assists Managers/ Supervisors/ Foremen with the preparation of agenda and provides material for regular safety meetings
- Provides input and review of Job Safety Analysis (JSA)
- Provides field coaching and develops and delivers site safety orientation; ensures all employees have received the appropriate safety training
- Verifies that the Managers/ Supervisors/ Foremen have adequately prepared their workers to act appropriately in emergency situations
- Conducts investigations to ascertain cause and need for corrective action to prevent their recurrence and provides written reports; works cooperatively with Labour Relations/Human Resources
- Communicates commitment to health and safety via safety talks, bulletin boards, workplace inspections and audits
- Monitors and supports safe return to work (ESRTW)
- Tracks and submits EH&S scorecard data, such as frequency, safety performance
- Suggests and helps to implement improvements to the safety program and procedures
- Responds to health and safety concerns in the workplace
- Liaises with professional organizations and government agencies on health & safety and environmental issues
- Reviews accident investigation reports, MOL reports, JHSC recommendations and follows up with management
- Liaises with customer field safety/environment representatives and head office
- Coordinating the EMC Corporate Risk Assessment
- Identifying all Legal and Other requirements e.g. customer requirements, industry standards, etc., applicable to EMC scope of work and capability;
- Developing and implementing processes to identify and control hazards and environmental risks;
- Implementing processes to measure, monitor, analyze and improve EMC Human Performance;
- Identify and develop/secure necessary HS&E training to ensure EMC has the capability to meet the EMC
- Conducting Self-Assessments and Investigations, and analyzing O&Cs, Perception Surveys, Audits, etc., to
provide evidenced based performance reports;
- Developing “Leading” and “Lagging” performance metrics to effectively assess EMC HS&E performance, and
implement required reports to track EMC performance;
- Providing information to project/site personnel on applicable safety legislation and regulations;
- Liaise with professional organizations and the government agencies on Health, Safety & Environmental issues;
- Reviewing all accident investigation reports, MOL reports, JHSC recommendations, and follow-up in
conjunction with the management team.
- Reporting on Health, Safety & Environment performance and improvements to management
- Post-secondary degree/diploma/certification in a related field (EH&S, Health & Safety, Industrial Hygiene)
- CRSP or CHSC designation or actively working towards the designation is an asset.
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience in an EH&S role in the nuclear sector preferred.
- Trades experience in a nuclear setting is an asset.
- WSIB experience is an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of OHSA and regulations
- Knowledge of ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001
- Comprehension of nuclear power plant systems, components and interrelated activities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to interact positively with all levels inside and outside the organization
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook skills
- Proactive and excellent problem solver
- Strong organizational, analytical, and time management skills
- Excellent planning, prioritizing and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to work independently
To be considered for this opportunity email your resume in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘HSE
Officer’ in the subject line by March 16, 2018.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however only those selected to move forward will be contacted.
EMC Power Canada Ltd. is proud to be an equal opportunity employer; valuing and respecting diversity. We encourage applications from qualified members of the four designated groups.